WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF KIDS YOGA?
1. Maintains flexibility and strengthens growing bodies
2. Enhances concentration
3. Increases self esteem
4. Teaches present moment awareness
5. Cultivates a peaceful, relaxed state of body and mind.
6. Gives tools for stress management
7. Sparks creativity in ripe imaginations
8. Encourages kind peer and social interactions
9. Enhances body awareness
10. Teaches discipline and responsibility
IS KIDS YOGA LIKE ADULT YOGA?
The answer is YES and NO! In a typical kids yoga class you will see many of the same poses that adults enjoy, although often times with imaginative sounds (such as barking dogs in downward dog) so YES children's yoga is just as beneficial for children as adults. Children's yoga (unlike adult yoga) isn't calm and peaceful all the time (although some of the class it is, depending on our game, story or if it's relaxation time) Classes are generally noisy, joyful, bubbly, creative and full of tons of energetic, healthy fun!
WHAT IS KIDS YOGA?
Kids Yoga has all the benefits of Yoga for adults, while being specially tailored to kids! By using games, imaginative stories, colorful props, uplifting music and creative movement, kids are naturally drawn to the many benefits of yoga while learning in an atmosphere of creativity and fun!
Kids Yoga is about exploring and learning in a fun, safe and playful way. Yoga and kids are a perfect match! Here's what children (and adults) can learn from yoga:
- Yoga teaches us about our bodies: when we practice the physical poses we learn how to move more freely and with greater ease and awareness. These postures help our bodies become strong and flexible.
- Yoga teaches us how to breathe better: when we breathe deeply and fully and become more aware, we can bring peacefulness and energy into our bodies.
- Yoga teaches us how to use our energy more effectively: when we practice yoga, we learn how to use the existing energy in our bodies, to feel more relaxed, focused or motivated.
- Yoga teaches us how to quiet the mind: when we practice yoga we learn how to be still. This helps us to listen with attention and make good decisions.
- Yoga teaches us about balance: when we practice yoga, we learn to be more aware about the need for balance in our lives. This could mean equal stretching on the left and right sides of our bodies or making sure we balance our very busy time with equal quiet time and relaxation.
- Yoga teaches us about taking care of ourselves: Yoga is a great way to move our bodies and feel healthy. And teaching children how to take care of themselves is one way to show love. As with all forms of exercise, a good yoga practice can mean a good nights' sleep!
The beauty of yoga is that children can practice at home, with a friend, or with a group. Many schools are now teaching yoga to young children and there are many choices of after-school or weekend classes for kids and their families. Everyone can enjoy yoga, from tots to great grandparents!
Professional organizations that focus on children also support the idea behind yoga. For example the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and The National Association of the Education for Young Children (NAEYC) recommend that children should participate in activities that support the development of the whole child. This is exactly what yoga is about!
About Classes, Camps, Workshops and More